Recipe for Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeds* removed and diced
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fine cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (1 tsp. if using fine salt)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup cooked corn kernels plus enough cream, milk, or buttermilk** to equal 1 1/2 cups
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese*** plus bit more for top before baking
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Place diced jalapeños in skillet, then place in a 10-inch top diameter cast iron skillet in cold oven on middle rack. Preheat oven to 400°F and leave skillet with jalapeños in oven as it preheats. Check periodically to make sure they aren’t burning and to give them a quick stir. Remove when they are lightly browned and allow to cool. Return skillet immediately to oven.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat eggs. Whisk in corn/cream mixture and cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix butter and sugar with a wooden spoon,**** just until butter absorbs the sugar. Add the egg mixture and mix until just combined. Stir in the cooled jalapeños. Mix in the dry ingredients just until barely incorporated.
- Remove skillet from oven and lightly coat with nonstick spray. Spoon batter into hot pan and quickly top with a bit more grated cheddar cheese. Bake cornbread until top is golden brown and springs back when gently pressed, 25-28 minutes when baked in a 10-inch skillet (may be longer if your skillet is smaller). Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
*If you like your food extra spicy, then leave the seeds in the jalapeños.
**This means you add the corn kernels to a measuring cup first, then pour in the milk until the milk rises to the 1 1/2 cup level. (I was not able to find buttermilk at my local store. If you have the same problem, then you can add one tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar for every one cup of milk.)
***I’m a cheese lover—I added an extra half cup of cheese!
****I tried the recipe mixing with a wooden spoon and again using my Kitchenette mixer. Call me crazy, but I truly believe it tasted better when using the wooden spoon to stir ingredients.
This recipe was adapted from seasonsandsuppas.ca and foodiecrush.com.
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Murder
(The Cast Iron Skillet Mystery Series)
by Jodi Rath
About the Book
Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Murder (The Cast Iron Skillet Mystery Series)
2nd in the Series
MYS ED LLC (June 21, 2019)
Digital ASIN: B07Q1K4DN3
Financial fraud of elderly villagers in Leavensport, an urban sprawl threat to the community, disastrous dates, cross-sell marketing gone wrong, and another murder? Jolie Tucker is ready to try dating again. Well, she has no choice—since her family auctioned her off to the highest bidder. Her best friend, Ava, has agreed to a double date, but both friends find out hidden secrets about their partners as well as deception by one of the village’s own, who will soon be found dead. This plot is sure to be spicy!
About the Author
Moving into her second decade working in education, Jodi Rath has decided to begin a life of crime in her The Cast Iron Skillet Mystery Series. Her passion for both mysteries and education led her to combine the two to create her business MYS ED, where she splits her time between working as an adjunct for Ohio teachers and creating mischief in her fictional writing. She currently resides in a small, cozy village in Ohio with her husband and her seven cats.
- Monthly Newsletter Link: http://eepurl.com/dIfXdbGet Short Story “Sweet Retreat” for free by subscribing to my monthly newsletter. Subscribe to my newsletter to receive free flash fiction, A Mystery a Month, serial scenes from series, and deleted scenes).
Purchase Links – Amazon –
All other e-platforms: https://books2read.com/u/bOAYyK
June 21 – A Wytch’s Book Review Blog – CHARACTER INTERVIEW
June 21 – ❧Defining Ways❧ – CHARACTER GUEST POST
June 22 – Books a Plenty Book Reviews – REVIEW
June 22 – Literary Gold – SPOTLIGHT
June 23 – A Blue Million Books – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
June 23 – Eskimo Princess Book Review
June 24 – Socrates Book Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
June 24 – The Self-Rescue Princess – CHARACTER INTERVIEW
June 25 – Ruff Drafts – SPOTLIGHT WITH RECIPE
June 25 – Babs Book Bistro – SPOTLIGHT
June 26 – Escape With Dollycas Into A Good Book – REVIEW, AUTHOR INTERVIEW
June 26 – Mystery Thrillers and Romantic Suspense Reviews – GUEST POST
June 27 – eBook Addicts – REVIEW
June 27 – Cozy Up With Kathy – CHARACTER GUEST POST
June 28 – I’m All About Books – GUEST POST
June 28 – Author Teresa Watson – CHARACTER INTERVIEW
June 29 – Celticlady’s Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
June 29 – MJB Reviewers – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
June 30 – StoreyBook Reviews – REVIEW
July 1 – Baroness’ Book Trove – REVIEW
July 1 – 4covert2overt ☼ A Place In The Spotlight ☼ – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
July 2 – fundinmental – SPOTLIGHT
July 2 – Because I said so — and other adventures in Parenting – REVIEW
July 3 – Brooke Blogs – SPOTLIGHT
Have you signed up to be a Tour Host?