According to the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association), there are over 30 million households with cats in the United States. Although this figure is lower than the number of dog households, more cats are owned per household than dogs. Here are the statistics: https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Statistics/Pages/Market-research-statistics-US-pet-ownership.aspx
Why are pet cats so popular, but even more important, why are people so crazy about them? Below are 10 fascinating reasons, but there probably are a ton more.
1. They provide comfort when you’re sad or sick. Your cat can’t catch your cold or flu, so he or she doesn’t mind getting up close with you while you are ill. I’ve always considered my cats furry nurses. Their purrs are quite soothing, and if you’re depressed, there’s nothing like some funny cat antics to brighten you up.
2. They’re good for your health and state of mind. Read this article that shows why cats are beneficial to your heart health and can aid in alleviating other medical and mental maladies. http://pazoo.com/health/11-reasons-cats-make-happier-healthier.
3. They saved the world. Some believe that if it hadn’t been for cats, the Bubonic Plague would’ve wiped out the world. Read this interesting article by Lisa J. Lehr on that topic: http://ezinearticles.com/?Cats,-People,-and-the-Black-Plague—Those-Who-Kept-Cats-Survived&id=161249
4. Many cats have become Internet stars or celebrities. I’m sure you’ve seen the number of cat photos that proliferate on social media. I was stunned at some posts with cat pics receiving 10,000 + likes. Cats such as Grumpy Cat, Little Bub, and others have risen to fame with their own websites, merchandise, and nationwide tours.
5. They’re written about extensively. Besides all the non-fiction articles and books about cat breeds, medical issues, and other feline topics, there are multitudes of cat mystery books, cat series, cat science fiction, and other cat fiction. There is even a Cat Writer’s Association founded by Certified Animal Behavior Consultant and bestselling author, Amy Shojai. (I’ve been a member of this wonderful organization for many years).
6. They’re funny and smart. People who really know cats appreciate feline humor and their cunning yet cute manipulative ways. It’s also true that cats can be trained if you know the tricks to persuading them to participate. Check out Gregory Popovich’s popular Las Vegas Show, Comedy Pet Theater http://comedypet.com/ and Acrocats.
7. They’re masters of relaxation and stretching exercises. Take a look at this video featuring yoga wth cats.
8. Their beauty inspires artists and photographers alike. Da Vinci said of them, “The smallest feline is a masterpiece.”
9. Cats make great substitutes children, but some people consider them better than babies. Consider this comical comparison from “Little Meows.” http://littlemeows.com/comic-is-hilarious/
10. Cats are now being found in cafes throughout the world. Read this article written by Kelly-Jane Cotter about this new feline fad and add one to your trip’s next itinerary. http://www.app.com/story/entertainment/2016/03/16/cat-cafes-coffee-and-kitties-purrfectly-relaxing/80925764/.
Besides cafes, cats have always been popular in libraries. Here’s a map showing library cats around the world. http://www.ironfrog.com/catsmap.html.
There’s a whole island devoted to them in Japan. http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/japan-cat-island/.
Amsterdam even has a boat that serves as a tourist attraction and cat sanctuary: http://thebestcatpage.com/2016/03/18/amsterdams-floating-sanctuary-cats-called-simply-cat-boat/.
For some reasons, women are stereotyped as cat crazy even though men can be wild about them, too. If you’re a cat crazy lady, you’ll enjoy Allia Zobels’ books: “Women Who Love Cats Too Much” and its recent sequel, “Women Who Still Love Cats Too Much.” If you’re a man, you should like Michael Showalter’s book, “Guys Can be Cat Ladies Too.”
For the furry finale to this blog post. Here are some additional photos of my own feline obsessions, Stripey and Oliver. Feel free to comment with photos of the cats you’re crazy about and why.