It’s my pleasure to feature Melissa Bourbon’s guest post, blog tour, and giveaway for her first Book Magic Mystery, Murder on Devil’s Cove.
I’m always excited to have a new book out, and even more excited when I’m launching a new series. With Murder in Devil’s Cove, though, I feel as giddy as I did when my very first book came out back in 2008.
I’ve been giving it a lot of thought, trying to figure out why this book and series is making me feel this way. When it comes right down to it, there are 8 reasons (possibly more, but these are the 8 that came to mind):
- I love the Outer Banks and the North Carolina coast. It’s so beautiful. To set a book there has been so fun!
- My family and I are huge Tolkien fans. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings are all-time favorites. When it came to naming my heroine/sleuth for the Book Magic mysteries, I immediately came up with Pippin. It’s my nod to Tolkien, and it fits her. Pippin’s father in the series is also a huge Tolkien fan, hence naming his children Pippin and Grey (after Gandalf).
- The entire concept of bibliomancy is so intriguing and fun. Pippin uses it to help her solve crimes. It’s so interpretive, and coming up with passages to guide her was challenging and took me back to my English major days of analyzing text.
- This is a collaborative book series, and that has also made writing this a blast. I’m talking more about this on another blog tour stop, so follow along!
- Devil’s Cove has all the great things I love in a small town. There’s The Open Door, which is the bookshop, Devil’s Brew, the coffee shop/café, a taco shop, a clock shop, and so much more. There’s even a shop devoted just to Olive Oil! Oh my gosh, do I love strong olive oil.
- My heroine’s potential love interest, Jamie McAdams, is a brainiac, and I love this about him. He’s got two daughters, co-owns the bookshop with his grandad, has a PhD, and is a blast to write.
- Pippin and Grey are twins who are spreading their wings and separating from one another. Pippin is a reluctant reader—crazy since she’s this bibliomancer.
- There’s a dog! Not just a dog, a precious Vizsla who has a secret of her own. I won’t spoil it here.
As you can see, there are a lot of reasons why I adore this book, and can’t wait to continue writing the series. I hope you’ll give it a read. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed!
About Murder In Devil’s Cove
Murder in Devil’s Cove: (A Book Magic Mystery)
1st in Series
Publisher: Lake House Press (September 22, 2020)
Number of Pages: Approx 300
Digital ASIN: B088J48JY8
Two best-selling authors, one magical universe.
In the Book Magic Mystery Series, best-selling authors Melissa Bourbon and Wendy Lyn Watson bring you the story of cousins Pippin Lane Hawthorne and Cora Lane. The cousins live on opposite coasts (Pippin in Devil’s Cove, North Carolina, and Cora in Laurel Point, Oregon), but they share the family gift of bibliomancy: the ability to foresee the future and unravel the past with the help of the books we love. Join Pippin and Cora as they use their otherworldly power to solve mysteries in their respective worlds.
Every book tells two stories—one written on the pages with pen and ink, and one woven into the paper, a story of the soul. The Lane women have the gift of bibliomancy. They can read both.
But Cassie Lane doesn’t see this as a gift. For her, it is a curse because the book magic comes with a price–the Lane women die young and the men are lost to the sea. As soon as she’s able, she leaves Laurel Point, Oregon, running from her past and her fate, ending up in the Outer Banks of North Carolina. There she meets Leo Hawthorne and lives a perfect life with him in an old Sea Captain’s house.
Perfect, that is, until an old book foretells the future, and the curse that has plagued the Lane women comes true for Cassie.
Twenty years later, Cassie and Leo’s children, twins Pippin and Grey, are back in Devil’s Cove. Long forgotten secrets surface and an old crime comes to light. Now Pippin must learn how to be a bibliomancer if she is to discover the truth about her father and continue his effort to stop the curse.
About Melissa Bourbon
Melissa Bourbon is the national bestselling author of nineteen mystery books, including the brand new collaborative Book Magic mysteries, the Lola Cruz Mysteries, A Magical Dressmaking Mystery series, and the Bread Shop Mysteries, written as Winnie Archer. She is a former middle school English teacher who gave up the classroom in order to live in her imagination full time. Melissa, a California native who has lived in Texas and Colorado, now calls the southeast home. She hikes, practices yoga, cooks, and is slowly but surely discovering all the great restaurants in the Carolinas. Since four of her five amazing kids are living their lives, scattered throughout the country, her dogs, Bean, the pug, Dobby, the chug, and Jasper, a cattle dog/lab keep her company while she writes. Melissa lives in North Carolina with her educator husband, Carlos, and their youngest son. She is beyond fortunate to be living the life of her dreams.
Website – https://melissabourbon.com/
Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/melissabourbonbooks/
Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/groups/BookWarriors
Purchase Link – Amazon
September 21 – Reading Is My SuperPower – REVIEW
September 22 – I’m All About Books – SPOTLIGHT, RECIPE
September 23 – Literary Gold – CHARACTER GUEST POST
September 24 – Hearts & Scribbles – SPOTLIGHT
September 24 – Reading, Writing & Stitch-Metic – SPOTLIGHT
September 24 – Ruff Drafts – GUEST POST
September 25 – The Avid Reader – REVIEW
September 26 – Books a Plenty Book Reviews – REVIEW, CHARACTER INTERVIEW
September 27 – Author Elena Taylor’s Blog – REVIEW, AUTHOR INTERVIEW
September 28 – Christy’s Cozy Corners – GUEST POST
September 29 – FUONLYKNEW – SPOTLIGHT
September 30 – Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
September 30 – Celticlady’s Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
October 1 – I Read What You Write – SPOTLIGHT, RECIPE
October 1 – eBook Addicts – REVIEW
October 2 – Cozy Up With Kathy – REVIEW, CHARACTER GUEST POST
October 3 – Brooke Blogs – REVIEW
October 4 – Readeropolis – SPOTLIGHT
October 4 – StoreyBook Reviews – GUEST POST
Have you signed up to be a Tour Host?