I’ll be the first to admit peanut butter and jelly cupcakes don’t scream Valentine’s Day! But if you use strawberry or raspberry jam, you’ll find the red frosting gives them a nice Valentine’s Day feel. Do not under any circumstance use Dutch peanut butter. It’s not sweet or creamy enough. It will cause your batter to be almost impossible to mix and then you’ll find yourself sitting in front of the oven staring at the cupcakes hoping they’ll rise. I also recommend using a sweet jam. I used chunky cherry preserves but the tartness of the cherry overwhelmed the buttercream frosting. Trust me. Do as I say, not as I do.
If you love peanut butter, this is the recipe for you. Enjoy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup (57 grams) butter
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup (8 tablespoons) sweetened, creamy peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 ¾ cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup (57 grams) butter
- 6 tablespoons strawberry, raspberry, or grape jam
Make the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (175 degrees Celsius) and line cupcake pan with cupcake liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder.
- In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat the butter and granulated sugar for 3 minutes, or until fluffy. Beat in the peanut butter and vanilla. Add the egg and beat well. Reduce the mixer speed to low. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups
- Bake the cupcakes for 20 – 25 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
Prepare the frosting
- Beat the powdered sugar, butter, and jam in a large bowl, with a mixer on low speed, until blended. Then, increase the speed to high and beat until light and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cupcakes.
- Option: Top with a fresh strawberry.
Saint Vandal’s Day:
A Humorous Culinary Cozy Mystery Short Read
(Death by Cupcake)
by D.E. Haggerty
About Saint Vandal’s Day
Saint Vandal’s Day: A Humorous Culinary Cozy Mystery Short Read (Death by Cupcake)
7th in Series
Independently Published (January 1, 2021)
Print length: 104 pages
Digital ASIN: B08FX45TC7
St. Valentine’s Day is THE perfect day for a wedding. Unless a vandal is trying to ruin your life that is.
Callie is finally getting her dream wedding. On St. Valentine’s Day no less. Only a vandal is determined to destroy her bakery before the wedding can occur. Anna, self-proclaimed best cupcake baker this side of the Mississippi, is not letting anything happen to the cupcake bakery. No way. Barista extraordinaire Kristie jumps at the chance to help as well. Together the three women launch a mission to find the jerk who thinks it’s okay to attack the bakery.
Will the gals of Callie’s Cakes find the vandal and save the cupcake bakery before Callie’s dream wedding is ruined?
Cupcakes not included, although recipes for all the delicious cupcakes Anna bakes are.
About D.E. Haggerty
D.E. Haggerty is actually just plain old Dena, but she thinks using initials makes her sound sophisticated and maybe even grown up. She was born and raised in the U.S. but considers herself a Dutchie and not only because it sounds way cooler. After a stint in the U.S. Army, she escaped the US to join her husband in Holland. She fled Holland over ten years ago when she couldn’t stand the idea of being a lawyer for one single second more. Turns out Bed & Breakfast owner in Germany didn’t do it for her either. When the hubby got a job in Istanbul, she jumped ship and decided to give this whole writer thing a go. She’s now back in Holland, which she considers home. Sorry, Mom.
Amazon author page: http://www.amazon.com/D.E.-Haggerty/e/B00ECQBURU/
Bookbub author page: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/d-e-haggerty
Purchase Link – Amazon
January 4 – I Read What You Write – REVIEW
January 5 – I’m All About Books – SPOTLIGHT
January 5 – The Pulp and Mystery Shelf – SPOTLIGHT
January 6 – Celticlady’s Reviews – SPOTLGHT
January 7 – Mysteries with Character – REVIEW
January 7 – FUONLYKNEW – SPOTLIGHT
January 8 – Maureen’s Musings – REVIEW
January 9 – Literary Gold – SPOTLIGHT
January 10 – Author Elena Taylor’s Blog – CHARACTER INTERVIEW
January 10 – Christy’s Cozy Corners – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
January 11 – Escape With Dollycas Into A Good Book – SPOTLIGHT
January 12 – Reading, Writing & Stitch-Metic – SPOTLIGHT
January 12 – Baroness’ Book Trove – REVIEW
January 13 – Sapphyria’s Book Reviews – SPOTLIGHT
January 14 – Ruff Drafts – SPOTLIGHT WITH RECIPE
January 14 – Lisa Ks Book Reviews – AUTHOR INTERVIEW
January 15 – Thoughts in Progress – SPOTLIGHT
January 16 – Ebook addicts – REVIEW
January 17 – Book Blog with Sylv.net – SPOTLIGHT
Have you signed up to be a Tour Host?